Sinestro Corps Minimate Packaging Part 2

sinestro_front

In Part 1 of this series, I showed you how I came up with a way to display one 3-inch and four 2-inch minimates together in one package. This entry is going to focus on creating the packaging graphics using Photoshop. If you are a beginner with Photoshop, you might want to read my Decal Design Using Photoshop Tutorial first, as it describes many of the tools that you will see mentioned in this article.

progression1

My first step was to measure the physical packaging using a ruler. This was a difficult package to measure because the sides slope in slightly towards the top, and the front also slopes in towards the top. I ended up unfolding the packaging, which involved detaching some glued sections,  and tracing it out on paper. It was easier to measure the lengths and angles this way. I added 1/16″ to all sides to account for the corners being slightly rounded when folding.

In Photoshop, I created a document that was slightly larger than the package. I hit Ctrl-R to bring up my rulers, and I used the polygonal lasso tool to outline each section of my package layout, and the paint bucket tool to fill the sections in with black. I kept the sides and bottom as separate layers.

progression2

I found some high resolution artwork online with the Sinestro Corps logo on it, and I brought it into Photoshop. I traced the outline with the polygonal lasso tool and pasted it in a new layer in my packaging file. I traced the Minimates logo from one of the posters on the Art Asylum web site. To make it all white, I hit Ctrl-U to bring up my Hue/Saturation tool, and I adjusted the lightness all the way to the maximum.

progression3

Since the team is called Sinestro Corps, Sinestro is sort of the focal point of the set, so I wanted him to be at the top of the packaging. I traced an image of Sinestro from this artwork, and pasted it on a new layer in my file. I right-clicked on my Minimates logo layer, and under blending options, I gave it a black stroke. I used a rectangular marquee to select a section of the packaging, and then I added and removed parts of it with the elliptical marquee too to make it slightly rounded on the top and bottom. I gave it a gradient that went from orange to yellow.

I copied in some of the background artwork from the Sinestro page I linked to above, and put it behind the main logos. I brightened it, erased around the edges, and changed its blending option from normal to overlay. Then I added in some more wavy lines with a yellow brush with a low opacity and flow rate.

progression4

Underneath the header, I wanted something explosive, so why not use an explosion? I used a wallpaper found here as the center image. I overlayed it on top of itself a few times, and erased the parts I didn’t need, to make it the shape I wanted. I added a lens blur, and I changed the hue and saturation to what you see above.

For the sides, I pasted in the outlines of the photos I took of the customs. Under the blending options for each one, I gave them an outer glow. The motion lines behind them are from a motion blur I made of a star-shaped object with the perspective changed and the tail end blurred. Finally, I added a generic starry sky background behind them, and the front of the package was finished!

progression5

I started off the back of the package with an image of Sinestro traced from this wallpaper. I wanted to make it look like he was creating the Minimates himself. I used the Flare Effects Plug-in to make the light beams behind him. I also gave him an outer glow.

progression6

I added in the Minimates, and once again gave them an outer glow in the blending options tool. I created more flares behind Sinestro, and bent them towards the Minimates using the warp tool. I added the logos from the front of the package, repositioned to balance the design. I decided I didn’t want the light beams behind him, so I removed them. I wanted something with a bit more kick…

progression7

How about the sun? Instead of the light beams, I used this image of the sun as a background behind everything, with a few modifications to its lightness, hue, and saturation. And finally, I added my logo and the DC logo, which you can see in the final product photos below. After I printed the package on some glossy cardstock paper, I assembled it in the exact same way as my Death of Captain America packaging article. I haven’t really changed anything about the way I assemble these since that article, which was almost a year ago. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 🙂

sinestro_back

sinestro_front

I hope you enjoyed this post! Thanks for reading!

6 Responses

  1. Zombieboyfiend says:

    Dude! If I didn’t know any better I’d think you picked that up at the local comic store.

  2. Parker McWatters says:

    amesome packaging and minimates. don’t know much about Sinestro corps but you made them look awesome.

  3. onslaught says:

    great packaging but if you were to put these on ebay you would need some names of those characters.

  4. Stephen says:

    UH OH… Green Lanturn watch out for these customs!

  5. Stephen says:

    UH OH… Green Lantern watch out for these customs!

  6. Stephen says:

    UH OH… Green Lantern watch out for these customs!