Tagged: wip

Packaging Design Part 1

Creating the packaging for my Psycho minimates was both fun and challenging. I documented the process with photos, with the intention of showing you the project from start to finish. However, my 2 year old son seems to have “misplaced” the flash drive that those photos were stored on, so I will be documenting a different packaging project instead. I have a new set of 4 marvel customs in the works, and I thought it would be fun to create packaging for this set. Part 1 of this series shows how to prepare your customs for packaging.

Playing With Decals

Up until this week I have always hand-painted and drawn all of the details on my customs. But a generous donor sent me some waterslide decal paper to play around with. I have spent a few days getting used to the process, and it has given me all sorts of new ideas for customs. Hit the jump to see a few of my first tests.

Custom Failures: Articulated Sentinel

Like most minimate fans, after I saw pictures of the Minimates Max Sentinel statue, I wanted a fully articulated version. About a year ago I decided to pony up the money and give it a shot. It couldn’t be that hard, right? Click the title to read all about this epic failure.

Tough Customs: The Blob

The Tough Customs series will show a step-by-step process on how to make some of the more unusual minimate customs. One of my first customs was The Blob. I sanded down a Kingpin body, painted it, threw on a hairpiece, and called it good. That custom has slowly been pushed back to the rear of my display in favor of more visually appealing minimates. A few weeks ago I decided to make a new Blob minimate to replace my old one. I knew I wanted to give him more girth everywhere, including the arms and legs. I decided to take a 2.5” minimate and shorten it to a 2” size.

Click the title to read the full step-by-step guide.